Sunday, August 2, 2015

Birdman (2014)

How did I hear about it? If you pay any attention to award season what-so-ever... then you've heard of Birdman. After hearing the cast (Emma Stone is definitely growing on me and I haven't seen Ed Norton in anything except Fight Club, which is a personal favorite) along with the "revolutionary" cinematography I had to see it.

How did I watch it? I rented Birdman from my city library and watched it with my dad.

Where did it lose points? Of course there was strong language and many inappropriate scenes, but the biggest downfall for me was the lack of explanation for various scenes and characters. But I blame that on my lack of understanding and research for the film (which I will do eventually). 
Strongest points? There is reason why around award season the words cinematography and Birdman always went together. In case you were unaware, Birdman is filmed as if the camera never stops rolling, like one continuous story with no visible cuts. It's pretty revolutionary, and I'm insanely excited to see director Alejandro González Iñárritu's Revenant, starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hardy, to come out this year (Maybe, FINALLY an oscar for crowd favorite Leo? Pretty please?). Also the thinkability. When we finished the film around midnight my dad said, "Why did we do this to ourselves?", not because he didn't like it but because he knew it would lead to me researching the film and trying to understand symbolism for hours, if not days afterward. So with all that said, don't watch this if you're expecting a easy, brainless experience.









Rating? 8/10
Would I Recommend It? YES

No comments:

Post a Comment