Thursday, July 23, 2015

The Number 23 (2007)

How did I hear about it? The Number 23 was featured in WatchMojo's "Top 10 Worst Movie Plot Twists" and of course even though the video was warning me not to watch it... well I did it anyways. I'm a sucker for plot twists and watching actors break typecasting, and obviously Jim Carrey in a psychological thriller where he played a character with 0 sense of humor made me curious.
How did I watch it? I rented The Number 23 from my city library and watched it by myself whenever I had a chance. Because it's very rarely that I am by myself I watched half the movie one day and the other half another day. 
Where did it lose points? It was not very quotable, there was some language and inappropriate scenes/flashbacks and because it had such a plot twist at the end it's not necessarily a rewatchable movie (but well worth losing one point for the fantastic plot twist). 
Strongest points? For me the strongest point of this film was the thinkability, it was so hard to tell what was Fingerling's story and what was Walter's, but I believe that was the point. Walter's insanity calls the reader's attentions to the uses of the number 23 all around them, and I definitely was picking 23 out and researching it for the rest of the day. Another point was how original it was. It was inception-esque, and there was so much to pick up on, clues to the plot twist, foreshadowing, etc. 
Other Notes: Notice how at the "Steps to Heaven" the camera only ever shows Walter walking down them, signifying his fall from purity and grace just as he finds out who the author of The Number 23 really is. Also pay close attention to the numbers around Walter before his begins to investigate 23, they're everywhere. 




Rating? 7/10
Would I Recommend It? YES

No comments:

Post a Comment